It is national taco day, so lets make some tacos. I make this recipe all the time, it is simple. If you have a crock pot, you can make it in their as well.
Makes tacos for about 8 hungry people, leftovers on a salad are amazing too.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
- 4 pounds of boneless pork shoulder (*look for organic, no hormones or antibiotics)
- Make the rub with (2 tbsp sea salt, 2 tsp paprika powder, 2 tsp cumin, & 2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 orange, cut in half
- 1 white onion, chopped
- About 3 cups Aqua to cover
- Coconut oil/ grass-fed lard (yes lard) for frying
- Pre-heat oven to 300ºF
- Cut pork into 1-2 inch chunks. Toss pork pieces with spice rub.
- Heat a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed oven-ready lidded pan over medium high heat with just enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Brown the cubed pork well in the heavy pan, going in batches so there is only one layer of meat at a time, usually I do 2 batches.
- When all the meat is browned, deglaze the pan's bottom with the water, stirring to break up the brown bits.
- Put all of the meat back into the pan (or add to a crock pot) and cover with water until it's nearly submerged. Add orange and onion.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven.
- Stir the pot after two hours, it isn't ready until about the third hour. (You'll know when you can shred with a fork)
- When you're comfortable with the tenderness, put all the pork in a platter and with forks or your hands shred the meat into smaller pieces.
- Turn your broiler on to high and place a rack towards the top and broil the pork for approximately five minutes until the outside begins to caramelize and get CRISPY.
- Serve with corn tortillas, cabbage salad, avocado and SALSA!