As we approach this holiday season, we are temped by so many bad food choices, especially sugar. It is a scary time as parents so I am here to give you some quick HACKS that will help you enjoy this season!
1. Hydration is crucial- it helps to flush our organs and detox our bodies. Make sure you start your day with a large glass of water with lemon. Split your body weight in half and drink that # in ounces of water! Get rid of soda, fruit juice, and coffee for the week!
2. Get moving and sweat it out. Even if it's a walk on your lunch break, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, fitting in a 20 minute run before dinner, just move !
3. Eat more fat! High quality fats tell our body we are full and help us burn fat. Stay away from sugar and carbs! Stick to olives, eggs, grass fed meats, olive oil, avocados, nuts/ seeds (the right kind), coconut products,
4. Load up on fiber! Fiber helps remove the built up toxins we have in our systems.
5. Eat at home - not only will you eat less, but you know what is going into your food. Restaurants add salt, butter, oils and things that quickly add large amount of unnecessary calories!
6. Incorporate detoxifying herbs!
Here are some I love:
Dandelion: Dandelion one of the greatest liver herbs known. It stimulates the liver to detoxify poisons. Promotes healthy circulation, strengthens weak arteries. You can buy it in tea bags at any health food store.
Capsicum: also known as cayenne pepper is an alterative, antioxidant, antiseptic, and circulatory stimulant. It is rich in vitamin C and helps improve metabolism, thus contributing to weight loss.
Ginger: is a great herb for restoring digestion. When toxins impair the process of digestion and when the digestive enzymes have been weakened, they need assistance to restore their functioning. Ginger will stimulate the digestive system and help with your metabolism.
Chlorella: Most of you know how much I love chlorophyll in my water! Chlorella is an power-packed whole food source provides over 19 amino acids including all 8 essential, plus beta-carotene, potassium and other valuable vitamins and minerals, and enzymes. Contains natural antioxidant phytonutrient source, also a great detoxifier, cell enhancer, and blood cleansers. This green stuff is an internal deodorant to reduce body odors originating in the digestive tract.
Turmeric: The health of our digestive system affects our immune system. The mucus membrane of the gut, a part of the lymph system is compromised by digestive imbalances. These imbalances which can be caused by toxins, diet choices, stress and lifestyle manifest either as constipation or diarrhea depending on whether the imbalances are drying or creating congestion. Seasonal factors can add to the imbalances.
7. De- stress Constant stress is bad for your entire body. Give yourself a break by taking five to 10 minutes every day to do something that helps your mind and body relax. Whether it's sitting in a park or on the beach and being quiet and breathing, if it's taking a yoga class, reading a book, writing in your journal, or taking an Epsom salt bath... Find your way to release your day, everyday! Concentrate on how your body sounds, moves and feels. Your bodies should be your temple.
8. Get enough sleep Aim for seven to eight hours of good sleep every night. Hit the hay before 11 p.m... According to Chinese medicine, 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. is key for the gallbladder and liver, which help detoxification.
9. Probiotics: are microorganisms which promote good health and digestion. Optimizing your gut flora is critical to staying healthy. The purpose of a detox is to eliminate toxins from the body, it is vital to support your gut during this cleansing process. Probiotics help break down substances in your diet to enable better digestion & detoxification, they aid the absorption of vitamins & minerals essential to your body, and they boost your immunity by limiting growth of harmful bacteria. If you’re only going to take one vitamin or supplement this year, make it a probiotic.
10. Don't wait till the new year to make a resolution! You can do this!
Have you heard about Thrive Market? For $59.95 a year, you sign up for access to your favorite organic products at wholesale prices that are delivered to your doorstep in 2 days! I have been using it for a year now and have saved thousands of dollars and highly recommend it. You can try it out for 30 days FREE!