Experts estimate that 75% of Americans may be magnesium deficient, a startling statistic, especially since every system within the human body needs it to properly function. It’s necessary to support more than 300 of your body’s biomechanical functions. Yeah, it’s kind of a mineral superstar. They act as enzyme co-factors, which mean they play a vital role in activities like regulating blood pressure, synthesising proteins and monitoring muscle and nerve functions. It also assists in energy production, building new cells and mineral balance, which is essential for a healthy body. A DEFICIENCY in this nutrient makes you twice as likely to die as other people, according to a study published in The Journal of Intensive Care Medicine. It also accounts for a long list of symptoms and diseases — which are easily helped and often cured by adding this nutrient. There are over 3,500 medical references on magnesium deficiency, pretty scary stuff that more people are not informed.
Magnesium isn’t only found in the human body, but also plants. It is actually the organising atom in chlorophyll which converts the sun's rays to energy in plants.Magnesium is an element commonly found in lots of our favorite super nutritious foods—spinach, sesame seeds, quinoa, and avocados, to name a few—and unfortunately, most of us are deficient in magnesium, so if you’re feeling particularly sluggish, struggle with sleep, or like you can’t get things moving try a little magnesium to kickstart your system.
What else does Magnesium (Mg) do for us?
- Involved in almost every body process
- A part of over 300 enzyme systems
- Can be called the “relaxation” mineral
- Must be in balance with Calcium
- Fourth most abundant mineral in the human body
- Regulates blood sugar level, keeps the heart rhythm and immune system and keeps bones strong
- Needed for VIT D assimilation
- Aids in weight loss
- Helps to manage disorders such as hypertension, disease, and diabetes
Why are so many of us deficient?
The most recent farming processes have depleted our soils leaving it deficient of most common minerals. Plus, with the use of pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides and GMOs plants can now still grow without normal standards of rich soils.
Even our water sources used to be a good source of magnesium, but now:
Fluoride in drinking water binds with magnesium, creating a nearly insoluble mineral compound that ends up deposited in the bones, where its brittleness increases the risk of fractures. Water, in fact, could be an excellent source of magnesium—if it comes from deep wells that have magnesium at their source, or from mineral-rich glacial runoff. Urban sources of drinking water are usually from surface water, such as rivers and streams, which are low in magnesium. Even many bottled mineral waters are quite low in magnesium, or have a very high concentration of calcium, or both.
Food sources that contain Mg:
- GREENS!! b/c Mg is the chlorophyll in the atom!
- Sea vegetables
- Leafy greens
- Beans & legumes
- Dark chocolate
- Almonds, pumpkins seeds, cashew, sunflower seeds
Things that DEPLEAT or INHIBIT Mg:
- Refined foods
- Drugs, medication & Antibiotics
- Eating GMO and non-organic foods
- Birth Control
Symptoms that you may be lacking this mineral:
- Insomnia, sleep issues
- Acid reflux
- Muscle cramps
- Muscle soreness
- Brain fog
- Bad circulation
- Food cravings
- Poor dental health
- Gut issues
- Low energy
- Other mineral deficenicies
Mg Recommendations: I recommend everyone to supplement with magnesium, it is essential that you add it to your routine. Most people benefit from 500 to 1,000 mg a day.
Calcium and magnesium should be in a 2:1 ratio in order for your body to be able absorb either of them. If you have a deficiency of one or the other, your body will just draw the missing one from organs, glands, tissues, bones resulting in deficiencies of the missing mineral.
- Chelated forms- Mag glycinate(“ate”) are the best forms
- Epson salt baths allows Mg to be absorbed thought the skin
- Mg Citrate - another great form
- Calm Powder- start with one Tbsp at night, and increase slowly, can cause loose stools if you have too much] USE CODE TVW3 for 30% off!
*Avoid these cheaper forms- magnesium carbonate, sulfate, gluconate, and oxide*