I'm always on the hunt for the best nutrients to add to my daily routine and now, that consists of medicinal mushrooms. And NO these don't get you high... think nature's superfood. Obviously, mushrooms aren't new but after hours of researching and recipe testing, I can confidently say that this is one addition I am welcoming with open arms and I hope you do, too.
WHY ARE THESE MEDICINAL SHROOMS SUPERFOODS?
Easy. They are ADAPTOGENS. Simply put, they help us adapt to things like stress. But that's not at all, not even close. They do so much more.
- supports a resilient immune system
- helps with cognitive function
- promotes blood sugar balance
- offers anti-inflammatory properties
- offers anti-aging properties
- improves respiratory function
- improves sleep
- increases energy levels
- balances hormones
WARNING: not all are created equal
Like other nutrient dense foods, quality plays a huge role. When diving into the land of mushrooms, it's important that you choose wild, organic and hand harvested mushrooms. Several mushroom companies are growing their produce on grain or rice, which fills them with starch and diminishes their beneficial bioactive compounds.
Different from the edible kind like shiitake and portobello that grow on the ground, medicinal mushrooms grow on or near trees.
If you're ready to give it a try, Root and Bones, a vibrant holistic herb company, is a TVW tested and Torie approved brand that I am obsessed with. Enter TVW to receive a 15% discount at checkout!
What are a few of my favorite SHROOMS?
- Chaga or "The King of Medicinal Mushrooms" as some call it, is filled with antioxidant powers and helps immensely with anti-viral and antibacterial issues.
- Cordyceps is known for anti-aging and longevity, as well as increasing energy
- Reishi is known to help combat stress, reduce inflammation and boost immunity
How-to use mushroom powders:
- Bulletproof coffee with superfoods
- In desserts like my summer rootbeer float
- Salad dressings
- Green smoothies