These muffin style mini frittatas are simple for a fancy prepped meal for the work week instead of a large frittata. Enjoy thrown in a Tupperware for work or on the go. I love topping it with salsa fresca, hot sauce, avocado or on a bed of greens
· 1 head organic cauliflower, sliced vertically through the core, 1 inch steaks
· 2 T Brain Octane, MCT, or coconut oil
· 2 teaspoons curry powder (can sub a mix of cumin & turmeric)
· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· sea salt to taste
· 1 T Cilantro Lime Compound butter (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Rub the spices, salt and octane on “steaks.” Wrap the parchment paper around cauliflower like a package, folding he seams. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- OR you can fry them in a pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Top with compound butter and serve.
Compound Cilantro Lime Butter: (use this on steak as well OR you can leave it out)
Makes 4 servings
· 8 tbsp grass fed butter or ghee, at room temp
· 2-3 Tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped fine
· 2-3 Tbsp lime juice
· sea salt to taste
In a food processor, or in a bowl, mix ingredients until everything is combined. Store in an airtight glass container or wrapped in parchment in fridge. (can freeze for up to 2 weeks)
Who doesn’t love a deliciously sweet warm beverage on a cold winter’s day? It’s that time of year where the big chains and local coffee shops alike add some of our favorite seasonal drinks to their menu, and while we’re all about the occasional indulgence (we’re only human, after all), you might not realize...
So, most of you have heard the HYPE of this butter in your coffee thing, right? To be honest its completely changed my life and so many of my clients, family and friends, PLUS it tastes delish!
How you ask? Personally for me...
Thanks to our amigo guacamole, the avocado is known by most all of us. Its true, Avocado Oil is not nearly as well known as our pantry staple Olive Oil, but boy do the health benefits outweigh most other oils.
Avocado oil can tolerate high heat (400 degrees) unlike many other oils. Due to its stability, when you heat avocado oil it does not loose its amazing health benefits.
TIP: Make sure you always BUY a cold-pressed version to get the most nutrients from this amazing superfood.
10 FACTS on why you should use AVOCADO OIL:
1. About 70% of essential fatty acids found in avocado oil are monounsaturated oleic acid which have been known to have several positive effects throughout the body including lowering risk of some cancers, southing auto-immune diseases, aiding the body in repelling and eliminating microbial infections, as well as reducing inflammation inside and out.
2. It contains chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the body, as well as heavy metals.
3. It ENHANCES our absorption of other crucial nutrients when paired with certain veggies!
4. It is a prescription drug in France for its Anti-inflammatory properties.
5. The vitamin E, potassium, and lecithin help feed our skin & hair cells giving them more energy to grown and heal.
6. It is packed with heart healthy benefits from high concentration of beta-sitosterol, a type of cholesterol, which our bodies can use to convert bad fats into better forms.
7. Avocado is in the 5 top foods for containing the most amount of Vitamin E. This fat-soluble vitamin is known for improving skin and eye health and improving memory and mental clarity.
8. You can use it on your skin to sooth irritations or rashes, in your hair as a mask to improve dryness; it also works as make-up remover.
9. It helps with gut health, soothing bloating and helping with digestion.
10. Studies have found it aids in the prevention of the development of diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglyceride levels, and obesity.
HOW I USE IT
I love using it for adding flavor in sauces, like this one, or stir-fry’s and when sautéing.
Here are ways that you can incorporate it into your diet.
· Add it to sauces such as pesto or marinara
· Use it for your salad dressing (if you blend, it will thicken)
· Toss on veggies before roasting
· Add it to smoothies
· Rub it on protein before cooking
· Make MAYO
· Use it for hummus or any dip
Cooking with OILS:
When you cook with any oils, you MUST be aware of its smoking point. You do not want to have oil oxidize and loose its nutrients, remember oxidation is BAD, think of when that avocado turns brown, that also happens in our bodies making us AGE.
By taking a few extra minutes to adequately prepare for your holiday travels coupled with making good choices when you are on the road, you can optimize your body's fuel and soak up all the energy you will need to power through your busy days.
Yes, I pack my own meals for the airplane, plus my Kangen water, and you should too! I don't even think about traveling or leaving the house without my natural first-aid kit (I ALWAYS HAVE IT WITH ME). *BONUS Torie Tip*: make sure your immune system is in check before you head out on a trip. I've mapped out all my favorite well ways to give yourself that extra BOOST in my Wander Guides.
Must Haves: Remember your skin is your largest organ, so take care of it. Here are my gotta-have, can't leave home without essentials for my body when I'm living the life of a jet setter.
· Clean Well- all natural hand sanitizer spray
· Facial wipes- I love these for when I get sweaty or have a pilates class right before a meeting and need a quick "Mexican Shower" :)
· Moisturizer- I use Beauty counter oils or a Argon Rose oil I make at home
· Coconut oil
· Neck pillow
· Eye mask
1. Stay hydrated- drink lots of water, I bring my own 1 gallon jug of Kangen water on the plane since it is Medical Grade water it is allowed, and don't forget to add a couple chlorophyll drops! Airlines are really stingy nowadays, so I like to bring yummy tea bags to get my drink of choice during flights (stay away from caffeine and alcohol)!
2. Move around- avoid being sedentary for more then 2 hours. Take a walk down that tiny aisle to keep blood flowing and reduce the chance of your muscles becoming stiff.
3. Wear comfortable clothes, comfort is KEY. Do not forget socks.
4. Bring tons of healthy SNACKS:
· Homemade trail mix or granola (you can add whatever nuts and seeds)
· Seaweed snacks
· Nut butters – Justin's or Artisan brands come in travel packets
· Kale Chips
· Organic Non GMO-Popcorn
· Grass-Fed Jerky
· Terra Chips/ Mary's Gone Crackers with cheese
· Celery/Bell Peppers/Carrots/Cherry Tomatoes/Broccoli with hummus
Healthy eating in restaurants:
- Order a soup or a salad to eat with your main course. Soups and salads are generally healthy and start to fill you up so that you eat less of the more calorie-dense main dishes.
- Many restaurant portion sizes are large enough for two meals or more. Instead of a rich, high-density appetizer, order a salad, clear soup or shellfish such as shrimp cocktail or mussels.
- Take leftovers back to your hotel room and store them in the refrigerator to enjoy the next day at lunch or as a snack.
- Eat the VEGGIES. Most entrées come with at least one vegetable. If not, be sure to order a vegetable side dish.
Eating at the hotel:
- Find a local grocery store and buy healthy snack items such as hummus and veggies, nuts, or healthy choices from a salad bar or deli section.
- Some restaurants will deliver food to your hotel room and may have some healthy menu items available.
Still in need of the perfect gift for a friend or family member? Don't forget to check out TVW's HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE and recipes! I promise, it will not disappoint - Torie tested, The Vida Well approved.
Don't panic! Not only are these gifts handpicked and organic, they can be purchased from the comfort of your own home! No parking lots, no lines, no scary looking elves! You'll find only goodness here that you're loved ones, co-workers and amigos are guaranteed to LOVE.
For Your Grandma or Aunt:
Neakita, organic tea that is made in small batches and hand crafted by a nutritionist, is a winner in my book for all things vitality and radiant health. These tasty teas are not only beautiful, but overflow with aromatics that are perfect for the tea fanatic. Use the code "TVW" at checkout for a discount!
For your furry friend:
Your DOG will go NUTS over this NON-GMO, 100% organic dog food. Paleo Paw's food and treats have been carefully crafted to nourish dogs from the inside out. They also have treats made with pumpkin and superfoods - yum! Plus you get 15% off with the code "THEVIDAWELL" because you're my mate!
For the Bikini-Obsessed Babe:
"If you love life in a bikini, Le Paume is an essential." Le Paume bikini wash is a color safe, gentle solution that promotes a longer lifespan of your bikinis. I've found this little extra love on your Lycra keeps your bikini cheek-ready for the next adventure! TVW readers also get 15% off with Le Paume this holiday season if use "THEVIDAWELL" at check out!
For the Foodie:
Nourishing Traditions Cookbook is a holistic book based on culinary customs of our ancestors with whole food recipes that teach us the principals of vitality. This book also debunks all the common nutrition myths of the current low-fat fad and how entertaining can be nutritious and delicious!
For Your Honey:
Ettitude Organic Bedding is amazing! 100% organic bamboo lyocell is as fine as 1000 count Egyptian cotton, but only consumes 1/3 water + it uses no harmful chemicals. Kind to your skin and the planet. (Sshhh! This is really a gift to yourself.)
For the do-gooders:
Not only is Guayaki Yerba Mate a great alternative to coffee, the company is committed to making a difference by supporting reforestation efforts for the farmers in South America who produce the tea. I often use Yerba Mate in place of coffee when I make my Bulletproof for the day. Use the code "VIDAWELL" when you check out to get 20% off until December 31, 2016.
For the Superfood Junky:
Vital Proteins should be a staple for anyone who is seeking the healthiest products on the market. They have a beauty formula that is awesome for skin health. To booth, their collagen will help your hair, skin, and nails all while increasing your gut health. Now, that's what I call a double-duty kind of product.
For Your Mom:
Gift a subscription to Thrive Market, a wholesale health food retailer providing 30-50% discounted prices off your favorite health foods. You can buy it all on Thrive Market and they ship it to your door. Perfect for the busy mom and a great gift to keep stress-free and healthy this holiday season.
For Your Dad:
A Butcher Box Subscription. What guy wouldn't love exceptionally quality meat delivered to his door each month? Just 1% of the beef consumed in the USA is 100% grass fed. Butcher Box has sourced the best quality beef and delivers it for FREE. 'Nuff said!
For the Vino Lover:
Dry Farm Wines subscriptions is for the wine lover in your life (or maybe even yourself). This wine club is different from the rest because they are the ONLY health focused wine club in the world. This wine is organic, sugar-free, low alcohol, and low sulfite, meaning it can be enjoyed without hangovers, headaches, or poor sleep. Hopefully this friend will have you over, so you can enjoy a smooth red or refreshing white together. :)
· ¾ cup avocado oil
· ½ cup parsley
· ½ cup cilantro
· ¼ cup mint
· 2-3 cloves garlic (I like to roast it in the oven whole)
· 1 small roasted jalapeno (optional)
· 3 T pumpkin seeds
· ½ cup lemon/ red wine vinegar
· 1 t sea salt, more to taste
Blend all ingredients except AVOCADO OIL. Add oil slowly to emulsify. Blend to desired consistency.
Why Avocado Oil? LEARN why you need it in your everyday life HERE
There are so many myths that come along with nutrition. Everything from a new cleanse to a LA celebrity trend, a food product that will help you slim down, and of course the supplements that make you feel 20 years old again. Fortunately that's where my job comes in, I am here to give you the quality research that matters and the facts that will make us thrive!