DAY 4: SEE YA SUGAR
The TRUTH is that SUGAR is highly addictive, and many studies show that it might even be as addictive as cocaine and other drugs.
HOW DID WE GET SO HOOKED ON SUGAR?
Sugar was brought to the Americas by Christopher Columbus and during that time sugar was processed by leaving “raw” sugar crystals behind after the water evaporated. These crystals contained protein, fiber, vitamins, and mineral. Sadly, today, we very rarely see this type of sugar.
FACT: In 1822 the average American consumed 45 grams of sugar, the amount found in 1 of today’s traditional sodas.
It's disheartening because at the end of the day it's simply all about the $$$. "SHOW ME THE MONEY" is what I imagine our food controllers saying every single day. In case you haven't already heard, the big Sugar Companies paid Harvard Scientist to publish old studies on sugar, fat and heart disease blaming the culprit on FAT. So what did they decide to do? They sucked the fat out of everything and added sugar in its place and look where we are. In case you want to learn more, here's a recent New York Times article.
Coca Cola, the world’s largest producer of sugary beverages did the same thing, they provided millions of dollars in funding to researchers who sought to play down the link between sugary drinks and the obesity epidemic.
JUST HOW BAD IS AMERICA'S ADDICTION TO SUGAR?
The Centers for Disease Control project a double or triple-fold increase in the proportions of Americans with diabetes by 2050. On the low end, a study published in Population Health Metrics projects 21% of Americans will have diabetes. On the high end ... 33%.
Refined sugar has NO nutritional value. Sugar addiction is a biological disorder, driven by hormones and neurotransmitters that fuel sugar and carb cravings. It’s why nearly 70% of Americans and 40% of kids are overweight.
You name it, it’s caused by sugar: heart disease, cancer, dementia, type 2 diabetes, depression, and even acne, infertility and impotence.
SIGNS that your blood sugar may be out of balance
- Cravings for sweets, sugar, or bread products. (This is almost a guaranteed sign that your blood sugar is out of balance)
- Fatigue after eating a meal, or “food-coma”
- Feelings of being lightheaded if meals are missed
- Eating sweets does not relieve the cravings for sweets
- You always experience that 3pm crash
- Difficulty losing weight
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO BALANCE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR
- Eat more protein
- Digest more protein (check stomach acid levels to make sure you are digesting properly)
- Increase your intake of nutrient dense foods
- Learn how to pair foods the right way in an effort to tell your brain you are satisfied
- Eat more good fats (GHEE is one of my favs) and essential fatty acids
- Eat more fiber
SUGAR: WREAKS HAVOC ON YOUR BODY NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL IT
Here are names for sugar you should keep an eye out for:
- Agave nectar
- Barley malt
- Beet sugar
- Black strap molasses
- Brown rice syrup
- Brown sugar
- Cane sugar
- Carob syrup
- Coconut palm sugar
- Corn sweetener
- Corn syrup
- Corn-syrup solids
- Crystalline fructos
- Date sugar
- Dehydrated cane juice
- Dried oat syrup
- Evaporated can juice crystals
- Evaportated cane juice
- Fruit juice concentrate
- Golden syrup
- Gum syrup
- High-fructose corn syrup
- Inverted sugar
- Malt syrup
- Maple syrup
- Palm sugar
- Refiner’s syrup
- Simple syrup
- Sorghum syrup
Artificial (stay away)
- Acesulfame potassium
- Aspartame (Equal/NutraSweet)
- Saccarin (SugarTwin, Sweet’N Low)
- Sucralose (Splenda)
THIS RESET IS LOW SUGAR
It only takes 10 days — or less, to detox from sugar, to break the addictive cycle of carb and sugar cravings that robs us of our health. Seeing as though today is Day 4 of the RESET, you are well on your way to breaking your sugar addiction! Stick with it! Here is what you can except from saying, "see ya to sugar."
Increased energy, fewer slumps and less fatigue
Less craving for sugar / specific foods
Increased sense of taste (healthy food starts tasting better) More consistent energy
More regular bowel movements
Less dry skin and dandruff
Less mucus and sinus issues
Elevated mood/less depression
3 TRICKS to CURB your Sugar Addiction
1. Eat more fat. I recommend that my patients use liberal amounts of grass-fed ghee, coconut oil, and cook with animal fats from pastured sources in addition to frequent consumption of bone broths.
2. Take a shot of apple cider vinegar!
3. Consume fermented foods to balance our gut bacteria, which can cause cravings.
4. Keep a bottle of stevia on hand. Stevia plays a trick on the tongue: while sweet, it is not sugar.
And that's a wrap on The Vida Well's 4-Day Spring Reset. I am so proud of each and everyone of you for taking this time for yourself, your health and your vida! I am confident you're already feeling the benefits from the last 4 days and if you would like to keep this experience going, I am here to help! In the next couple of days I will be sending you a special offer available only to participants in the 4-Day RESET to help you stay on the journey to longevity, wellness and feeling your very best. Be sure to look out for it! Also, don't forget you can repeat this RESET anytime you're feeling not so hot about your health (think after a long weekend, before the festival and bikini seasons!!!). Thank you so much for joining us!
To your health,
Are you loving how you're feeling? Need a helping hand in achieving your health goals? Book a consultation with Torie to discuss coaching and how you can get a tailored plan designed specifically for your individual needs.