This recipe screams summer and is perfect for a BBQ because it's EASY and all your amigos will want the recipe, I promise. At first I was confused why this recipe didn't tell you how to cook the lamb, then I figure out that you put the raw lamb mixture in the pita and what happens is the lamb cooks inside the pita, the fat will melt into the bread, creating a crunchy, vibrantly flavored meat sando that’s unlike anything you’ve ever had before, I stuffed these ones with a herbed yogurt sauce, thinly sliced red onions and heirloom tomatoes.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Makes 12 pitas
3½ pounds ground lamb, preferably shoulder
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 cup parsley, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons paprika
3 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil, I recommend 23 Degrees for its antioxidants CODE VIDA23
Avocado oil, for grilling, (better for high heat, CODE VIDAWELL20)
12 thick medium pita breads with pockets
- Using your hands, mix lamb, onion, garlic, parsley, all spices and ½ cup olive oil in a large bowl. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Prepare grill for medium heat and oil grate with avocado oil, not olive oil. Stuff each pita one at a time, by slicing on side of the pita pocket halfway around the outside. Then with a spoon fill a couple spoonfuls into each pita, then with your fingers smash it to evenly spread to the edges. Close, pressing on filling to seal.
- Grill pitas until filling is cooked through and bread is crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
DO AHEAD: Filling can be made the day before, keep chilled. Pita breads can be stuffed 1 hour ahead; cover and chill.
Add toppings: onions, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, YUM.
I don't really remember but here are the ingredients, it's so easy, mix to your tasting!
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 mini cucumbers, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest
Mix together, will keep in fridge 5 days. Great to pair with roasted veggies too!