Each of these refreshing summer yerba mate drinks will help your body in many ways by packing superfoods into ice cubes. By making a bunch of superfood ice cubes and mate in advance, you’ll be able to quickly make and enjoy an uplifting drink at anytime. What’s more, there’s little to no sugar or calories in these drinks. These superfood cubes + chilled yerba mate concoctions are perfect for parties and hot summer days. ¡Salud!
- 3-5 ice cube trays
- French press or coffee maker to brew large batch of yerba mate
½ cup of loose leaf Guayaki Yerba Mate
Each ingredient is listed per recipes to follow
Step 1: Brew 40 ounces of Guayaki Yerba Mate in a french press (not sure how to, watch the video here) and let cool. That’s about two regular sized french presses worth of mate. You can do this up to 2 days before.
Step 2: Make superfood blends. To follow are five different blends to choose from. Make them all at once or try them separately at different times depending on what your body needs!
Step 3: Once you have made the superfood blends and poured them into ice cube trays, freeze them overnight, then add the cubes to your chilled yerba mate the next day for iced mate delight.
Cube Blend 1: Anti-Aging Superfood Ice Cubes
- 2 tbsp Collagen powder (click to learn more about this anti-aging hack)
- 1 tsp Matcha powder-contains high amounts of chlorophyll, antioxidants, and fiber from the use of the whole leaf
- 8-10 Mint leaves, torn - Great for digestion, inflammation, soothes the gut, and is also a palate cleanser
- 2 tbsp Dried hibiscus flowers - packed with vitamin C, helps with liver detox, and helps lower cholesterol/blood pressure
Brew hibiscus loose leaf tea. Strain the tea leaves out and stir collagen and matcha into the tea while it’s still warm. Pour mixture into ice cube trays and sprinkle mint leaves and hibiscus tea leaves into each cube compartment.
Cube Blend 2: Immunity + Cognitive Superfood Ice Cubes
- 1 tsp Mushroom Powder Shrooms - studied for centuries and hand harvested, these increase longevity, energy and immunity
- 5-10 Stevia drops or ½ teaspoon powder - a leaf extract that is naturally very sweet
- 1 tbsp Cacao powder-300 phytochemicals and nearly four times the antioxidant power of regular dark chocolate, and contains protein, calcium, carotene, thiamin, riboflavin, magnesium, and sulfur
- 3 tbsp Cacao nibs - high in fiber, but known to contain very high amounts of antioxidants helping to bind to free radicals (things that cause inflammation) and remove them from our bodies
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon- antioxidant support that also helps stabilize blood sugars
Mix shroom powder, stevia, cinnamon, and cacao in a bowl with enough hot water to fill your ice tray. Pour into ice trays and sprinkle a few cacao nibs into each cube compartment.
Cube Blend 3: Alkalizing Superfood Ice Cubes
- 1 tsp Green Powder - promotes a healthy PH for your body to thrive
- 2 tbsp Lemon zest - lemon peels contain more that five times the vitamins than lemon juice itself, plus vitamin C, vitamin A, beta carotene, folate, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Don’t throw that peel away!
- 1 tbsp Lemongrass, sliced thin - packed with vitamins & minerals, it also helps with clearing toxins out of the body
Mix green powder into enough water to fill your ice trays. Pour green water into ice trays and sprinkle shaved lemongrass and lemon zest into each cube compartment.
Cube Blend 4: Liver Detox Superfood Ice Cubes
- 1 tbsp Dandelion loose leaf tea - helps detox the liver as well as purify the bladder and kidneys
- 2 inch fresh Ginger root, sliced into thin rounds - can be used in both fresh and dry forms, helping relieve gut issues such as nausea, and cramping
- 1 tsp ground Turmeric - contains bioactive compounds and is used medicinally for its anti-inflammatory properties
Brew enough dandelion or a liver detox tea to fill your trays. Stir in ginger and turmeric if using powdered forms. If using fresh forms of those two, pour the tea into ice tray and add sliced or zested fresh ginger and turmeric to each cube compartment.
Cube Blend 5: Gut Health Superfood Ice Cubes
- 1/2 c Aloe vera juice *Note: Always buy organic aloe freshly juiced or bought from health food store, never from concentrate. Aloe has a long history of being used as a health tonic and digestive aid in many indigenous cultures
- 1 Small cucumber, sliced thinly Cucumbers are very hydrating and cooling vegetable that helps remove inflammation by raising PH, and as another perk, the high fiber helps move things through the gut
- 2 tbsp Dried lavender- smells amazing and helps soothe anxiety and emotional stress
Pour aloe juice into ice tray being sure to only half fill each cube compartment to save room for the rest of the goodies. Add thinly sliced or diced cucumbers to each tray, then sprinkle fresh lavender on top of each cube.