Kraut is one of those things I see at the health foods stores that makes my skin crawl because of how much they charge for it. It is literally a 2 step + 2 ingredient method that everyone should do at home, with their own spin of course! Below I show you the simplest KRAUT recipe.
Not sure why you should eat fermented foods? I have a whole BLOG POST dedicated to it.
How to make it at home?
Follow these simple steps to get the base recipe understood. Then once you get how easy that is, the taste etc, you can start to add spices and other veggies. My favorites are carrots, beets, peppers. I like to incorporate spices for their antioxidants properties as well. Things like caraway, cumin, turmeric etc.
- 1 medium head of cabbage (red or green)
- 1-3 Tablespoons of Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Thinly chop cabbage, add salt and massage with your hands until it releases moisture like the pic above.
- Using clean hands smash the cabbage into a glass quart jar, pressing the cabbage underneath the liquid.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, or I like to use a coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Leave in a cupboard or somewhere at room temperature (60-70°F is best) for at least 2 weeks until desired taste and texture is made.
- NOTE: If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once you taste the sauerkraut and like it, put a tight lid on the jar and move to the fridge.
- Once you get the hang of it, you can add all types of yummy veggies and spices.