Quick Pickled Onions
These guys are always in my fridge and so dang easy. Once you get the base down you can keep them simple or jazz them up by adding spices or other veggie like cauliflower, carrots, peppers etc. They are crunchy, a bit sour from the vinegar and salty. I like to them to salads, tacos, well honestly everything.
Here is the base:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- cumin, turmeric, cayenne
- red chile flakes, chilies, etc
1. Combine all ingredients except in a small saucepan at medium-low heat. Take off of the heat once the salt and sugar has dissolved. This is your brine, I usually do not let it boil or it takes to long to cool.
2. Place veggies in a jar or glass container and pour the brine over them. Once the brine is room temp or cooler, seal the jar and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. These will keep in the fridge for a month, but they won't last that long :)
Veggies to add:
Remember that you can keep adding to the brine, I usually keep it for a month, adding new things every week or so.