Mac Nut Pesto
Since I am currently in Hawaii, this recipe is appropriate . No matter where I am Macadamia nuts are a staple in my diet, and who doesn't LOVE pesto?? I made this heavenly sauce, spread, dip, marinade, whatever you want to call it, to go on top of a gluttonous pasta last night. Yes, I am normal and occasionally eat pasta :)
Pesto should be a staple in your fridge at all times, it is a nutritional powerhouse that you want to include in your diet as much as possible, plus it makes anything you pair with it amazing. Also, buying pesto in the stores (good quality ones) are very overpriced. The others are made with processed ingredients, bad oils etc. Start making your own and you will be able to come up with a bunch of amazing variations.
FACTS: The MAC NUT, was actually originated in Australia then later came to Hawaii. The Macadamia nut is a SUPERFOOD. Packed with oleic acid, magnesium, B vitamins, flavonoids, and much more. These nutrient packed nuts are great for heart health, gut repair, weight loss, and reducing inflammation.
- 2 cups of packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts (can substitute pine nuts or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup cold pressed olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 juice of one lemon
- 3 gloves garlic
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 1/4 jalapeno for an added spice kick (optional)
- Place all ingredients in the food processor except oil.
- Pulse until desired consistency, then add oil slowly as you blend. I like mine a bit chunky.
- Taste. Add more acid (lemon) or oil to make it thin out.