Warm Whiskey Chai
Check, check it! TVW's Whiskey Chai featured on the Organic Authority's Fabulous Holiday Cocktail List!!!
This holiday warmed cocktail is a crowd pleaser and a healthy alternative to the sugar laden drinks that are usually served. Plus, its dairy-free and man do the spices fill the air with deliciousness.
Serves 6 lucky people
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 20 black peppercorns
- 16 whole cloves
- 8 cardamom pods, seeds removed from the pod
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (can also use ground)
- 4 cups organic coconut milk (make sure you shake it really good)
- 1 tablespoon loose black tea
- ¼ cup local honey or stevia to taste
- 3 ounces bourbon or rye whisky (I highly recommend using an organic liquor)
1. In a spice grinder or mortal, pulse all of the spices into a powder.
2. In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer. Remove from heat and add spices, sweetener, and tea and let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Strain the chai into a bowl. Wipeout saucepan.
4. Return the chai to the saucepan and reheat over medium heat, whisk it to get it frothy.
5. Stir in whiskey and serve hot.
6. Top with spices or cinnamon stick for garnish.
ORGANIC & NON-GMO OPTIONS: Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Venis Spirits, Slow Hand Whiskey, & Bainbridge Organic Distillers)
Note: For a quick version you can always buy a high quality organic chai mix, or tea bags and just tear them apart.