Raw Pad Thai with Kelp Noodles & Almond Butter Sauce
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: none
Pad thai is a favorite for many but do you know what is actually in it? Think inflammatory vegetable oils, oxidized peanuts, and some gluten-filled noodles. Sorry to burst your bubbles but that pad thai is usually not the healthiest thing on the menu! So this recipe was created to give that same creaminess but with a healthy twist of course. Perfect for a spring lunch with friends, or a hot summer day. It is gluten and dairy free and feel free to throw in all your favorite seasonal veggies. I love this recipe with grilled chicken or shrimp, but of course, it's up to you if you want added protein.
Ingredients for Almond Butter Sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos (also on Thrive Market)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons organic local raw honey
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1-2 tablespoon sriracha/sambal to taste (add more for heat)
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, stems on
- ¼ cup organic full fat, coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon a fish sauce (Optional but dang good, there is a clean one on Thrive Market)
- 2-4 tablespoons water, to thin to your desired consistency
Instructions for Sauce:
Put all ingredients in a Vitamix and blend until smooth.
Note: you will have leftover sauce, it keeps in the fridge for 10 days, you can use it for marinades, wraps or in a salad dressing.
Ingredients for Raw Pad Thai:
- 1 package of kelp noodles (found in Asian section or health food stores) rinsed
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 scallions, sliced thin
- ½ cup broccoli, (option to steam or quickly saute)
- ¼ cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- ½ cup bean sprouts, or any sprouts
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ jalapeno chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup cashews or sunflower seeds, garnish
- handful shelled edamame
- Optional: add grilled chicken, shrimp, or a piece of fish
Instructions for Raw Pad Thai:
Rinse and drain kelp noodles. You could cut your kelp noodles into smaller pieces or leave as is. Pat them dry.
Put the kelp noodles and all other cut veggies in a big bowl.
Add half of the sauce. Toss the ingredients together until thoroughly coated. Top with nuts. Save dressing in a glass container.